Published 24th March 2022
What's The Difference Between Volume & Definition?
We often hear the terms volume and definition used interchangeably. Your favourite hair care brands or beauty influencers might mention these words with every product that they use but there are key differences between these terms.
It’s important to know the differences between volume and definition. It’s even more important to know the best ways to add extra volume, definition, or both to your locks.
The way you go about adding extra volume or definition will depend on your specific hair type and your unique hair care routine. However, there are some general tips that will work anybody, whether you’ve got wavy or curly hair, to enhance its natural glow.
In this article, we’re going to run through the meaning of each of these words and we will give our top tips to increase both the volume and the definition of your hair.
what is the difference between volume and definition
how can you get more volume and definition in your hair?
The type of products and the way that you style your hair can vary depending on whether you’re trying to increase volume or definition. Here are some of Merwave’s top tips to help you increase both the volume and definition of your curly or wavy hair.
to get more volume in your hair:
● Use light products to prevent them from flattening your hair. This helps you to maintain your hair’s natural volume and bounce
● Use glaze in products instead of rake in products to avoid drowning your locks in products. Glaze in products will still maintain a small amount of frizz, which helps to keep some volume in your hair
● Style your hair upside down after it has been washed. This will make it easier for you to reach every strand of hair and adds a nice level of frizz and fluff to your locks
● Use volume-boosting products, such as hair lotions, mousses, and thickening sprays
to get more definition in your hair:
● Use rake in hair products to coat every strand of hair and add extra definition
● Split your hair up into sections when you’re applying product or styling it
● Avoid overbrushing your curls and dry gently with a microfibre towel to reduce the risk of hair breakages
● Keep your hair well moisturised by using hydrating products, such as cleansing conditioners, protein treatments, and wavy hair oils
To get the best of both worlds and enhance both the volume and definition of your locks, combine a range of the tips above. Make sure you don’t over-wash your hair or use too much heat, as both of these things can affect the volume and definition of your curls or waves.
Give these top tips a go and watch your hair grow healthier, thicker, and shinier by the day!