Why Does Your Hair Feel Dry, Brittle & Straw Like?
If you've ever found yourself frustrated with lackluster locks that resemble straw more than the luscious hair you desire, you're not alone. It’s an issue lots of wavy hair women suffer with.
In this guide, you’ll discover the various factors that contribute to dry, brittle, and straw-like hair.
We’ll then share practical tips and solutions to help you rejuvenate and reclaim your soft, defined beach waves.
Let’s dive in…
Below are the 3 main reasons your hair looks like straw. We’ve also provided solutions to each issue so you can take action immediately.
1. lack of moisture
Wavy hair tends to be more porous than straight hair, which means it can lose moisture more easily.
If your hair lacks adequate moisture, it can become dry, rough, and brittle. This leads to that straw-like appearance.
The simple solution is to fuel your hair with more moisture.
Start by applying a deep conditioning mask for 30 minutes. This will provide your hair with the big hydration hit required to transform it from brittle, dry and dull to deeply nourished and healthy.
Then on subsequent hair washes, use a high quality, sulphate free conditioner to retain those moisture levels.
2. damaged cuticles
The outermost layer of the hair shaft is called the cuticle. When hair is exposed to various factors like heat styling, chemical treatments or environmental damage, the cuticles can become damaged or raised.
This damage can cause the hair to lose its smoothness and softness, leading to a straw-like texture.
The only effective long-term solution is to restore the internal structure of your hair by using a plex treatment.
Damaged hair's more porous than healthy hair. Which as we know leads to more moisture loss and thus brittleness. A plex treatment will repair those damaged cuticles by restoring the broken hair bonds. Allowing your hair to retain that vital moisture.
Your hair elasticity will be improved. It’ll become more manageable and more resilient to styling. Your hair will be visibly shinier and healthier.
3. YOUR natural hair oils have been stripped
Natural oils are your hair’s armour. Here’s why they are vital to healthy hair…
1. They help keep your hair moisturised by providing a protective layer on your hair shaft. This barrier also shields your hair from UV rays, pollution and harsh weather.
2. The oils reduce friction between hair strands. Preventing tangling and breakages.
3. They contain important fatty acids, vitamins and antioxidants. Nutrients that nourish the hair follicles which enhances your hair’s texture and keeps your scalp healthy.
Problem is lots of people unknowingly strip away these crucial oils on a day to day basis. When this happens your hair becomes dry leading to straw texture.
Below are 4 causes that remove your natural oils...
1. Harsh shampoos that contain sulphates, silicones and parabans. They’re affecting at removing dirt, but also strip away your natural oils produced by the scalp. Leaving your hair feeling dry and brittle.
2. High temperatures from heating tools (curl irons, straighteners, hair dryers) can damage your hair cuticles, depleting your hair’s moisture and natural oils. Hair is dry and prone to breakages.
3. Exposure to sun, wind and dry air saps away moisture and strips away your oils. Hair becomes dull and rough.
4. Washing your hair too frequently (especially with harsh shampoos) can lead to the over-removal of natural oils. This can disrupt the scalp's oil balance, leading to dryness and an overproduction of oil in response.
The solution is to use gentler shampoos and conditioners. Products that don’t contain sulphates and silicones.
You also want to apply a natural hair oil seal in your hairs moisture. The oils fatty acids will lubricate your hair strands, which prevents it from drying out too quickly.
Finally, avoid heating tools. They simply damage your hair. If you do want to use a diffuser then that’s totally fine, just ensure it’s on a low heat.
Nurturing healthy hair goes beyond superficial treatments – it involves understanding your hair's unique needs, adopting a gentle care routine, and protecting it from external stressors.
Embrace the tips provided and embark on your journey to healthier, more radiant hair.
Click below to shop Merwave’s range of sulphate, silicone and paraben free shampoos and conditioners, deep conditioning masks, plex treatments and hair oils.